a musical mentor

Discussion on George Russell the man, and his written and recorded music.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Ben Schwendener

a musical mentor

Post by Ben Schwendener »

a musical mentor – George Russell

by Ben Schwendener

I worked musically with George Russell for over 25 years in many capacities, but mainly in the teaching and editing of his landmark theory, the Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization. After his retirement in 2003, I have continued to teach his courses on the ‘Concept’ at the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston (as well as privately and elsewhere). The Concept is central to my teaching philosophy and music in the open-ended freedom and intuitive exploration it encourages.

I was introduced to George Russell and his music in the late 70’s through my friend Gregg Ramsey (an exceptional guitarist and composer), who turned me on to my first Russell album – “Ezztheticâ€
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

It is indeed nice to hear your reflection on your time with George, Ben.

With Jimmy Giuffre a while back, and now with George and Joe Maneri having passed away, it just makes me reflect all the more on the group of teachers at NEC that are so much like the Greek heroes to me - half men, half gods. George, Gunther Schuller, Jimmy Guiffre, Ran Blake, Joe Maneri... It was certainly quite an era.
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Very nice Ben. Thank you.