Contributions to the Forum

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
bobappleton

Contributions to the Forum

Post by bobappleton »

Hi,

A few words from me as one Administrator of George Russell's LCCOTO Forum.

Sometimes people become heated in discussion about the LCC. They come here because they love it for what it is, and what it has contributed to Jazz and other musics. They love George's music. And they admire George himself for all he did and all he was. I'm one of those people myself.

Over the past few years many have come here and made Interesting contributions through their love of music and the LCC. Alice Russell, Ben Schwendener, Sandy Williams, Schel Barclay, Chesper Nevins, myself – even the great European improvising pianist Veryan Weston (a dear friend) and many other fine musicians can be found here. Sometimes people become so attached to the Forum that they forget it's dedicated to the work of one man. And then occasionally they begin to believe it's somehow "their forum" and "their work" we're discussing here. They take it personally and get upset if they're not sufficiently recognized (in their own minds). This is not so – and it's wise to remember that. We don't go to the Bach Foundation http://www.bachstiftung.ch/en/ and start rewriting Bach. We come to the LCC Forum to understand and appreciate more about George Russell. It's not essential for anyone to make a contribution to the LCC – though these are certainly valued and credited willingly to the individuals responsible. You can simply come here to enjoy, learn more and contribute your understanding to the significant archive of materials which are already here. The LCC stands on it's own. A complete theory of music. A standard so high, that it's revered worldwide as one of the only musical theories of improvisation.

The LCC Forum is a place for everyone – young, old, expert, beginner, analog and digital performers or simply listeners and non-musicians to chat casually among ourselves about any aspect of this thing called music which (to paraphrase George) is such a large and fascinating tree.

Recently someone who's screen name was Motherlode (now a former member of the Forum) grew to believe that ideas he'd contributed and then deleted from the Forum would be reinstated and used without his permission. He was wrong. We will never use any material here without express or implied permission of those involved. That would contradict our own forum guidelines – written by Alice Russell herself. Do remember however, if you post your ideas here, you are giving implied permission to everyone to read and enjoy them.

With all best wishes,

Bob
Anatole

Re: Contributions to the Forum

Post by Anatole »

Hello everyone,
I'm a young student of the LCC and the forum (2012),
discovering the LCC as a music student has been really DEEP

I want to thank everyone who contributed with edifying posts
such as interval tonics, close to distant relations, tritones, polytonality, Bach, Horizontal gravity, orbits, 7-ladders, thoughts on the LCC and so on..

It has been intense. it has also been an immense relief/amazement to discover the forum after 4th edition read from cover to cover. so many questions and answers and new questions risen etc. that's when the guy find the ring/ark/gold

the way the LCC has been formulated and reformulated is very elegant as it convey the individual to explore one's soul/cosmos/sound,
beyond the questioning it triggers within the self, it does reveal the existence of a collective intelligence/consciousness in the call/answer and trial/error process of improvisation. so this thing we call music is alive, ITSALIVE.
and how beautiful it is.

this forum is paramount as long as it gives/celebrates the LCC/people the credit/beauty/tunes it deserves.
Last edited by Anatole on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Hi Anatole,

Thanks for your contribution. What a beautiful first post... we can't be ALIVE without contributors like you.

Sincerely,

Bob
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

Forum Conversation_short.png
I just found this snippet of "conversation" with ML about the Forum after I'd deleted the rest of it. It shows how absurd the whole copyright thing had become. He posted it. He took it down. And then he threatened to sue the Forum if we put it back. I can't help but think now that this was always his intention.
Fer Carranza

Post by Fer Carranza »

LOL!!! Premature ejaculation!!!