Technical Appendix to the 1959 Edition

The main body of the LCC and its practical application, including all 4 published versions of Book 1 with their inserts: the 1959 tan cover; the 1959 light green cover Japanese edition; the 1970‘s white cover, which adds an illustrated River Trip to the 1959 edition, and the currently available Fourth Edition, 2001.

The authorization code is the first word on Page 198 of the Fourth Edition of the LCCTO.

Moderators: bobappleton, sandywilliams

Forum rules
An open letter from Alice Russell. June 21, 2011, Brookline, Massachusetts. 1. DO NOT make insulting, mean spirited remarks about anyone or their work; there are a plethora of sites where you can rant unfettered. If you attack someone personally, your comments will be removed. You can post it, but I'm not paying for it. Go elsewhere, and let those artists who are actually interested in discussion and learning have the floor. 2. There will be NO posting of or links to copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner. That's the law. And if you respect the work of people who make meaningful contributions, you should have no problem following this policy. 3. I appreciate many of the postings from so many of you. Please don't feel you have to spend your time "defending" the LCC to those who come here with the express purpose of disproving it. George worked for decades to disprove it himself; if you know his music, there's no question that it has gravity. And a final word: George was famous for his refusal to lower his standards in all areas of his life, no matter the cost. He twice refused concerts of his music at Lincoln Center Jazz because of their early position on what was authentically jazz. So save any speculation about the level of him as an artist and a man. The quotes on our websites were not written by George; they were written by critics/writers/scholars/fans over many years. Sincerely, Alice
steviejay1

Technical Appendix to the 1959 Edition

Post by steviejay1 »

Hi,

After a long search, I've managed to get hold of a copy of the the 1959 edition of LCC. Unfortunately, it doesn't include the Technical Appendix - the entry in the contents page reads as follows:

"The Lydian Chromatic Scale Chart, the Slide Rule, and the Tonal Gravity Chart are inserted in the pocket at the rear of the book."

Unfortunately, these documents are missing. I believe these are significantly different to the equivalent documents in the later editions.

Could someone let me know where these documents may be available for purchase?

Thanks
gvetsch

Re: Technical Appendix to the 1959 Edition

Post by gvetsch »

Hello and welcome to the forum..I'm a new member myself but maybe i can help as i have the 59 edition also.
The LC scale chart is in the latest ver.4 edition known as Chart A. It is more comprehensive than the original.
The Tonal Gravity chart you can find here on the forum under general discussion categorry. Look for the postings on Tonal Gravity.
There are 2 versions of this chart. The original and the latest updated version. There is a difference.
Not sure where you would find the slide rule. Possibly some of the original members here can help you. The same goes for the Technical appendix. Was it removed from your book?
I'm wondering if it was added later as it is dated 1964. Is it listed in your content page.?
Hope this helps

Greg
steviejay1

Post by steviejay1 »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for that. I have a copy of the 4th edition with the newer Chart A. My copy of the first edition is borrowed from the British Library and even this copy has the charts missing - the charts should be there as they are included in the contents page as you mentioned.

I've downloaded the documents from the links you mentioned from the other forum threads. The search continues for the three pages of the original Scale Chart as mentioned on page 2 of the first edition.
gvetsch

Post by gvetsch »

Well let's hear all about it...

Greg
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

welcome back ML... ok... what gives?
bobappleton

Post by bobappleton »

hey ml,

how'd you get to stay so hip?

you must have kids at home...

my students make me young...

nice to see you back here...

b
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Motherlode! Good to hear from you! You've been missed!
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Hey, that's great about the XML format.

I think since we last talked I've moved from Windows to Mac, but that shouldn't make any difference. I'm still using MuseScore, which is working just fine.

{
For anyone who would like to get into a music notation program for free, I'd urge you to check out:

http://musescore.org/
}

Hey, do you want to upload a musicxml file and I'll see if I can read it...
DannyJ

Post by DannyJ »

I recently got a 1959 edition (with a reference inside to 1963's "The Outer View", so it must be a later printing). It has the two charts and the slide rule. Unfortunately, the holes in the slide rule "slide" aren't punched very accurately and there are some notations there that I cannot read, specifically:

First item in the "+V" column:
(?) + 5
(?) + 5 b9
7 + 9
7 b9 b5

Third item in the "VI" column:
(?) 7 b5
(?) 9 b5

First item in the "VII" column:
(?) b9
(?) M 9B)
7 b9

Second item in the "VII" column:
(?) b9
(?) b9

If anyone could take a look at theirs and let me know what the mystery characters are, I'd appreciate it!

I was going to recreate the slide rule for myself, would it be legitimate to post a printable PDF here, or would that be a copyright violation?

Thanks.
DannyJ

Post by DannyJ »

Thanks, that was of course very helpful. In comparing the two, though, I noticed some discrepancies:

LYD AUG +V: (slide rule) 7 +9; (chart) 7 +9 +5

LYD AUG VI: (slide rule) M7; (chart) M +7

AUX AUG II: (slide rule) 9 b5; (chart) 9 +11

AUG DIM BLUES I: (slide rule) MA b5; (chart) MA 6, MA 13 b9

AUG DIM BLUES III: (slide rule) MIN +5; (chart) "Inversions of Modal Tonic I Chords"

Are any of these errors?
DannyJ

Post by DannyJ »

OK, thanks. I saw that there were fewer entries on the smaller slide, but wanted to make sure none were mistakes.

Thanks again for your help.
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

Hey DannyJ,

Just a question for you and maybe some additional info.

Do you already have the new book, and are just digging back into the 1959 book?

Or are you starting from the 1959 book?

There's no problem starting from the 1959 book, but are you aware that chart A in the new book has some differences?

Just thought you should be aware if you weren't already.
DannyJ

Post by DannyJ »

Actually all this is way over my head (hence the very basic questions). My friend is a guitarist who had an LCC years ago and it got away from him somehow, and it's sort of a holy grail item for him. I managed to get him a copy (unbeknownst to him) and was looking it over and saw the missing info on the slide rule, so I am recreating it in Adobe Illustrator and make him a nice new slide rule.

Would he be better off foregoing the 1959 book altogether and getting the new edition?

Or are there simple things that could be updated in the 1959 edition that would make it more useful or accurate?

Thank you for your help!
chespernevins

Post by chespernevins »

That sounds nice DannyJ. There are great things that are only in the 1959 edition. It is a great book to have in itself. In some ways, the old book has more information and (subjectively speaking) perhaps more character or personality.

There are a number of things that are unique to the new book also, so I think both are necessary.

There is a little bit of a challenge between the two, because the new version of the book changed/re-arranged some of the basic information, such as the order of the scales on Chart A. We don't let it hinder us, however. Most of us are aware of both versions.

I don't know if your friend will ever get to this point, but IMO, if one were studying this stuff, it would be best to start with the new book for the basics (since it is more updated), then go back to the older book to get all the good info that is in there.

There is also very good information on this forum that is in neither of the books.